Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tri-Colore Orzo

Tonight was my last Group Counseling class for the semester, so I decided to celebrate by making a dish I've been wanting to try, but hesitant because I knew he would hate it. I was right! He hated it. I was surprised to find out that I was also pretty underwhelmed by it. It sounded so delicious and flavorful, and looked awesome when Giada made it on her show on the Food Network. I'm sad that it was disappointing. I ate it, and it was ok, but something was missing. And now we just ordered a pizza.

pasta

Tri-Colore Orzo
Giada de Laurentiis via DesertCulinary

16 ounces dry orzo pasta
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 cups fresh arugula
3/4 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup dried cherries
12 fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and then scatter the pasta on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and toss well - spread the mixture out and set aside to cool.

Scoop the orzo into a large bowl once cool and add the arugula, feta, cherries, basil, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil - toss well to evenly coat.

Yield: 6 servings

1 comment:

Annie said...

I've SO been wanting to try this. It was on our list of to make stuff, but I guess now maybe not? I won't let Danny see this post though, otherwise he'll have me make it and then use it as an excuse to order pizza!