Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Quick Red Curry Salmon

My friend Annie recommended this recipe to me, prefacing it by saying that it was extremely spicy. Well of course that made me want to eat it! So I scheduled it into our meal plan for this week and made it tonight. Now, I still don't like fish very much (except swordfish. I had swordfish at my office Christmas party on Saturday and loved it!) but I still try to make myself eat it on a semi-regular basis. And I've had good luck with spicy fish recipes because the spiciness overpowers the fishiness.

This recipe was spicy, easy, and tasty. I still didn't love the salmon in it, but it was a respectable and decent fish dish that I would voluntarily eat again. We both agreed it's very similar to the Hot Red Curry Shrimp we made awhile ago. If I made this recipe again, I'd probably try it with shrimp or tofu. Or maybe a combination of tofu and salmon, to try to sneak in some salmon for me.

Thanks, Annie!

salmon

Quick Red Curry Salmon
From Foodmigration.com

1 T. olive oil
2 T. Thai Kitchen red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
4 T. fish sauce (nam pla)
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. lime juice
Chopped vegetables (red or green peppers, spinach, bamboo shoots, pea pods or broccoli)
1 or 2 salmon fillets, cut into large chunks (you can also use chicken tenders, tofu or shrimp)
Handful of Thai basil
Lime wedges
Additional 2 T. basil, thinly sliced
Jasmine rice, prepared according to package

Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat until smoking. Add curry paste and mix into oil until sizzling. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice, stirring until all are incorporated and sauce is a pale pink. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings to your preference. Sauce should be bubbling slightly. Add vegetables and cook for about 4 minutes. Add salmon pieces and cook another 4 minutes until salmon is opaque. Add Thai basil and continue cooking for another 2 minutes or so, until basil is wilted. Spoon salmon curry sauce over prepared jasmine rice, and serve garnished with lime wedges and sliced basil.

Yield: 2 servings

No comments: