Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Denise, my good friend, emailed me this recipe about a week ago. Her coworker had brought it in to work and she loved them (she is not normally a cookie person) so she got the recipe and started making it. And then she loved it so much she shared it with me. It makes a gargantuan amount of cookies (I would recommend halving the recipe - I did not and I hated life for about 3 hours as I baked batch after batch...) which served my purposes entirely. I wanted some cookies that I could make for work, but that I could also freeze. I am going to give some of them to our friends in CT when we go up for New Year's, and I can also eat them when I feel like it. They should keep for about 3 months in the freezer.

These cookies are very cake-like, fluffy, and delicious. They are similar to the Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Squares I used to make in the fall. They're slightly different from the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread I made a month or two ago. As you can see, pumpkin and chocolate is a combination I enjoy. So of course we liked these cookies. I would make them again, but I would not make the full recipe (I ended up with something like 60 cookies). I also need to find a way to make it lighter. It uses an awful lot of oil, even for the amount of cookies it produces. Anyway. We would definitely make these again.

pumpkin

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Denise

3 cups canned pumpkin (1 large can)
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon milk
6 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 bags chocolate chips

Combine pumpkin, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large (4 quart) bowl. In a small bowl, combine milk and baking soda; mix well and add to pumpkin mixture. Combine all dry ingredients well in another bowl; add to pumpkin mixture and mix well (this works best if dry ingredients are added to pumpkin mixture little by little). Stir in chocolate chips. Use ice cream scoop to drop batter onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees 12-15 minutes. Makes a large batch. Cookies freeze well.

Yield: a huge amount of cookies.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Last time I made them I ended up accidentally stirring about half a cup of flour out of the bowl and onto the floor. That made the cookies come out lighter, which I liked.

The oil was also shocking to me, and if you find out a way to use less and still maintain their yumminess please let me know.

Denise said...

OMG it's almost FALL and PUMPKIN will be out (I know it's out all the time, but I always forget) so I can MAKE THESE AGAIN with oil & everything.
Or maybe half the oil and some applesauce?
I have ALL FLIPPING WINTER to figure it out. It is a shame that we do not live closer so we can have "does this cookie taste okay" comparisons.
Would be helpful, I think.

Denise said...

I made these tonight with half the amount of oil, using cinnamon applesauce for the other half.
They were freaking delicious.
I also used only 2 cups of sugar instead of three.
Can't even tell.