Sunday, December 16, 2007

Chewy Chocolate-Cherry Cookies

I am taking a bunch of cookies to work with me on Wednesday, so I was looking for a variety of cookies so everyone will find something they like. I had some leftover dried cherries, so I figured I'd whip up some of these cookies from Cooking Light. They are easy to make and turned out nicely. The cherry flavor is not at all overpowering and fits in well with the chocolate. I didn't think I would enjoy them very much but I actually liked them a lot. They have a crispier texture than I had anticipated, but that's OK. I hope people at work enjoy them!

cookies

Chewy Chocolate-Cherry Cookies
CL, 12/05

1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2/3 cup dried tart cherries
3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture. Beat just until combined. Fold in cherries and chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or just until set. Remove from oven; cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Yield: 30 cookies

No comments: