Sunday, November 04, 2007

Shrimp Caesar Salad

I had two day-long classes this weekend (my class today LOVED the pumpkin chocolate-chip bread, by the way), so tonight I wanted a quick and simple dinner. I figured this easy Caesar salad recipe from the May 2007 Cooking Light would be good. It requires little effort and uses precooked shrimp.

Turns out, I don't like precooked plain shrimp. I need my shrimp to be seared, seasoned, and delicious. Not a fan of the cocktail-type shrimp. And the salad dressing was too lemony and not at all like a Caesar salad dressing. I really hated it and wouldn't eat more than few bites (which were mostly to try to get pine nuts, since I love toasted pine nuts). I hated it, so I won't be making it again.

Shrimp Caesar Salad
Precooked shrimp speed up preparation. If you purchase raw shrimp, cook them in boiling water for 2 minutes or until done.

Dressing:
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced

Salad:
3/4 cup fat-free seasoned croutons
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 (10-ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Chopped fresh chives (optional)

To prepare dressing, combine mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk.

To prepare salad, combine croutons, 2 tablespoons cheese, shrimp, and lettuce in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss well to coat. Top with pine nuts. Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: