Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Penne Romana

Once upon a time, I think it was 2002, my brother had a girlfriend and he decided to make her dinner for her birthday. He did not know how to cook (and I was not cooking anything other than boxed cakes at that time) but my mom helped him make a copycat recipe of his girlfriend's favorite Olive Garden pasta dish: Penne Romana. There were leftovers, so I (being a senior in high school at the time) ate them. They were delicious, so I kept the recipe. Tonight I decided to actually make it myself. Once again, it was very tasty. The sauce is very delicious. We only had half the amount of white wine than was required, and I did miss the extra taste it would have added, but it was still really yummy. I have never had the Olive Garden dish so I don't know how close it is to the real one, but the recipe was actually posted on the Olive Garden website, so it's probably pretty close. I don't think we would make it again but I am going to keep the recipe just in case!

ETA: We subbed vegetable stock for the chicken broth.

Penne Romana
OliveGarden.com circa 2002

Romana Sauce
1/2 cup(s) Extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup(s) Yellow onion, chopped in 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
2 cup(s) White wine
2 tsp Rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 cup(s) Chicken broth


Pasta
2 cup(s) Green beans, blanched
1 cup(s) Tomato, diced
4 Romana sauce (see above)
4 cup(s) Penne pasta (cooked)
3 Tbsp Romano cheese
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

Sauce Procedure
- Heat oil in a small saucepan at medium high heat
- Add onions and crushed red pepper
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add minced garlic and cook for one minute
- Whisk in wine, rosemary, parsley and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk cornstarch and chicken broth
- Add mixture to sauce and stir well
- Bring to a boil and set aside

Pasta Procedure
- Heat saute pan over medium high heat
- Add green beans and tomato and cook for one minute
- Add Romana sauce and hot, drained penne pasta
- Add Romano and Parmesan cheeses
- Stir well with a spoon, making sure the pasta is well coated
- Serve hot

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: