Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Candy-Corn Sugar Cookies

OK. I had a master plan to bake some deliciously festive Halloween cookies to take to work tomorrow. I picked these cute little sugar cookies with a single candy corn pressed onto the top because they are adorable, simple, and not terribly unhealthy. Dough came together quickly, though it was much more crumbly than I anticipated. Cookies went into the oven, and then.... smoke! So much smoke! The parchment paper I used on the pan (the pan was dark and I didn't want it to burn the cookies - hah!) essentially caught on fire, creating tons of smoke, a horrible smell, and the bottoms of the cookies did, in fact, get burned. I started salvaging some of the cookies and then I got mad and threw out the rest of the dough.

I did, however, taste the cookies. I just ignored the burned part on the bottom. And what do you know, they are delicious! I wish I had more time to make another batch and NOT use parchment paper. I would just use a different cookie pan, or my Silpat mat. So it failed due to cook's error, but would be awesomely successful for everyone else. Plus they really are adorable with the little candy corns on top. Make these and tell me how they turn out! I will have to wait another year. :(

Candy-Corn Sugar Cookies
Everyday Food magazine

Rather than measuring and rolling one ball at a time, scoop out all o the dough into level teaspoons (onto a place or wax paper) before rolling them into balls.

4 Tbsp unsalted butter, very soft
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
About 36 candy corns

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter and sugar in a medium bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until combined. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Add flour and mix until a dough forms.

2. Scoop out level teaspoons of dough, and roll into balls (chill dough briefly if it becomes too soft to handle). Place balls on baking sheets, 2 inches apart.

3. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are firm and cookies are dry to the touch (do not let cookies color), 10 to 12 minutes.

4. Remove from oven; gently press a candy corn into center of each cookie (surface of cookies may crack slightly). Cool on sheets 1 minute; transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen (Note: HAH there is no way this would make 3 dozen. Maybe 2)

No comments: