Thursday, October 04, 2007

Aloo Tamatar Subzi

I found this curry recipe on the India Cuisine food blog, which doesn't seem to have been updated since 2006. I was intrigued because instead of a regular yellowish curry, it had a tomato-based sauce that gave it a nice red color.

I do not know what happened between the recipe and my kitchen, but our bland potatoes were not the delicious tomato-y curry I had been expecting. I even subbed in a habanero for the green chili, and there are like 1123123 different spices thrown in, yet it still managed to lack flavor and be boring. I am quite astonished.

The original recipe was written in shorthand so I will adapt it to make it more readable in case someone else wants to try their luck. I must have done something wrong. Why wasn't mine red like hers was?

My changes: subbed curry powder for curry leaves, habanero for the green chili, crushed red pepper in place of dried red chilis, and I used Simply Potatoes (pre-diced, peeled potatoes and onions) because I am lazy.

Aloo Tamatar Subzi (Potato-Tomato Curry)

4 medium potatoes (boiled and slightly mashed to form small chunks)
1 large onion, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1" ginger, peeled and finely minced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chiles
10-12 curry leaves
2 green chile, slit length wise
1 tsp red chili powder (adjust according to your choice)
1 tbsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
3 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp oil
Chopped cilantro for garnish
1 tsp sugar (optional)

Heat oil in a cooking vessel and add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Now add the red chiles and curry leaves and stir fry for a few seconds until the flavors are released in the oil. Now add onions, ginger and garlic and saute til the onions turn light brown. Add the green chiles and all the spices. Combine.

Add the tomatoes and stir fry till the oil separates and it gets mushy.

Add the potatoes and combine. Keep covered with a lid on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
Remove lid and cook further for another 3-4 minutes, stirring once in a while.
Add salt and enough water to cover the potatoes.

Bring to a boil and let it simmer on low heat till you get the desired curry consistency.Finally add the sugar and combine. Turn off heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.

Serve hot with rotis/chapatis/steamed white rice.

No comments: