Saturday, September 22, 2007

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili

After watching an episode of Paula's Party on the Food Network where she makes this amazing-looking chili, I am now on a quest to find a great vegetarian chili. I have made lots of recipes for good ones, but I want a GREAT one. So tonight we tried this recipe from the Colorado Collage cookbook.

I can't remember if I've made anything from this cookbook before, but it's a funny story. He saw this random cookbook lying in a pile of free books at his school, beckoning to him, so he picked it up and brought it home for me. And I happened to find a lot of intriguing recipes in it. So this recipe comes from that book.

I didn't add any carrots because ours were not as fresh as I thought they were, but otherwise I followed the recipe as written. We were not really impressed. It had a nice spicy factor but didn't really taste special. It would be a good vegan chili I guess. But it is not a make-again for us.

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili
Colorado Collage, 1995, pg. 52

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell peppeer
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground chili
1 28 oz can Italian-style plum tomatoes with juice, chopped
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 tsp chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In large, heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrot, bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, cannelini beans, black beans, and chipotle peppers. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Add water if mixture is very thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed bowls.

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments: