Sunday, September 30, 2007

Molasses Spice Crackles

OK I gave in and finally admitted it is fall. I didn't want summer to be over because I didn't want it to start getting cold, but oh well. So today I pulled out all the fall decorations, put out my autumn wreath on the door, and made some spice cookies.

These look a lot like wagon wheel cookies because you coat them in sugar (rolling in water first helps it create a crispy outside) and then as they bake the sugary crust cracks and looks cool. The cookies were pretty easy to make, as long as you have a food processor. They were also very yummy. I did not get anywhere near 40 cookies - I think we only got 26, but that's ok. I'm happy!

Molasses Spice Crackles
From Cooking Light, October 1996

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup stick margarine, softened
2 tablespoons molasses
1 large egg white
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, and stir well. Set aside. Place brown sugar, margarine, molasses, and egg white in a food processor, and process until blended. Add dry ingredients to food processor, and process until blended, scraping sides of processor bowl once. Gently press mixture into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Shape dough into 40 (3/4-inch) balls. Place granulated sugar in a bowl. Dip balls in cold water; shake to remove excess moisture. Roll wet balls in sugar. Place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on a wire rack.

Yield: Recipe says 40, I got 26, so it's anyone's guess

1 comment:

Denise said...

I've been reading your recipes, and many of the ones I'm reading require food processors.

Better add that to registry.