Sunday, September 23, 2007

Caramel Apple Muffins

One of my coworkers, Abigail, did something really nice for me on Friday so I told her I would repay her with baked goods, since that is what I do. I was nervous because I have not baked anything for anyone at my workplace since I started in May and I didn't want to screw it up. She said she likes apples and she wanted something healthy. So I went to work sifting through my recipe collection for something with apples that was healthy and extremely delicious.

I found this recipe that was from The Flax Cookbook, which I do not own but the recipe had been posted on the CLBB awhile back. It uses low-fat ingredients, super-healthy stuff (whole wheat flour, oats, flax seed), and lots and lots of apples! (I cut down a little on the amount of caramel, oil, and sour cream as well.) Plus it sounded delicious. I figured this would be a good way to say thank you to Abigail.

I made enough so I can keep some, and thank god I made that choice because they are VERY VERY GOOD. They are very moist (sorry to everyone who hates that word) and delicious and apply and autumny. The taste of the caramel comes through, but there's not a ton of it in the batter so there's not a lot of calories from it. They are really yummy muffins. I hope she likes them! I will probably make them again for us sometime!

Caramel Apple Muffins

1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup fat-free or light sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup caramel topping (from jar)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons egg substitute or 1 egg white
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
6 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely chopped apples, packed - peeled or not peeled depending on preference

Preheat oven to 350F. Thickly coat muffin pan with canola cooking spray, or use muffin papers.

Combine oil, sour cream, sugar, and caramel topping in mixing bowl. Beat until well blended. Add egg and egg substitute or egg white, and beat until the mixture thickens slightly.

Add dry ingredients (white and whole wheat flour, oats, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt) to food processor and pulse for about eight seconds until mixture is blended and oats have been processed into smaller pieces. Add dry mixture to the batter in mixer and beat on low just until blended. Stir chopped apples gently into batter with a spoon.

Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup and bake in center of oven until center of muffin springs back when gently pressed, about 15 minutes.

Yield: 1 dozen (we got 20)

No comments: