I had some leftover asparagus from the pasta primavera last night, so I used it as a side dish for the tofu tonight. I pulled the recipe from Martha Stewart Living. It was simple and tasty, but nothing mind-blowing. It did its job and we happily consumed our asparagus.
1 pound asparagus
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Dash of toasted sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Trim tough ends from asparagus spears. Set spears aside.
2. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet for about 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and half of the asparagus in a single layer.
3. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes without turning. Shake pan occasionally. Turn, and cook 3 minutes more. Asparagus should be bright green with brown spots.
4. Add 1 tablespoon shallots and half the sesame seeds, and cook, shaking the pan to toss asparagus, for 1 to 2 minutes or until shallots are transparent. Do not let them burn.
5. Add half the soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper, and cook 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate, and keep warm. Repeat with remaining asparagus. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 4 servings