Sunday, July 15, 2007

Lauren's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Despite the fact that my name is in the title of these cookies, I had nothing to do with creating this recipe. I clipped it from the March 2005 issue of Cooking Light. As we all are aware, I am not good at creating recipes and therefore don't even try.

I picked this recipe because it is a little healthier than our favorite recipe (The Chewy) or than Tollhouse cookies, since it uses whole wheat flour and no butter.

They turned out pretty yummy. Definitely not as sweet as normal ones, but it was a nice change. I used regular chocolate chips, versus the hippie "grain-sweetened" ones called for in the recipe. They don't need the full 8 minutes to bake though. Our batches burned very quickly. I'd bake them for only 6 or 7 minutes, instead. I also got nowhere near 4 dozen cookies - more like 2 dozen. And my cookies are smallish. I don't know what bite-size cookie the recipe is meant to make that would create 4 dozen, but I like my cookies to be bigger than a quarter. We probably won't make these again but it was a nice change.

Lauren's Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 tablespoons canola oil
2 1/2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips (such as Sunspire)
Cooking spray

Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add sugars; stir with a whisk until well blended. Stir in vanilla and egg whites.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, stirring until well combined. Stir in chips; cover and chill 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pan 2 minutes or until firm. Remove from pan; cool on wire racks.

Yield: 4 dozen (HAH, more like 2)

No comments: