Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chickpea and Hearts of Palm Salad

For dinners for this week, I made myself this salad from the August 2005 issue of Cooking Light. I have always liked hearts of palm because they kind of taste like baby corn, which I love. The salad came together quickly on Sunday night and has held up well in my tupperware as I take it with me to work and class. I would make this again.

Chickpea and Hearts of Palm Salad

1 cup drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 cup chopped plum tomato
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) diced provolone cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.

Combine parsley, vinegar, and oil, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad; toss well to combine.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: