Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spicy Cucumber Noodle Salad with Edamame

I drove all over the place to find freakin' white miso paste. Balduccis, Trader Joe's, Bloom, none of them had it. I finally spent my lunch break calling around and located some at Whole Foods. So there you go. That is where you can find it. And no, you can't omit it from this recipe because it does provide a necessary flavor. Plus you can use the rest to make quick miso soup. :)

The only thing I changed was the noodles. I don't like udon noodles, so we used whole-wheat organic spaghetti instead. This change was fine. We both thought the meal was pretty good, but nothing jaw-dropping. I will keep the recipe so I can use the sauce in sushi though, because the little note attached to the recipe mentioned that it is sometimes used in sushi - and I recognize it from some of our favorite rolls at a nearby restaurant. I won't make this whole recipe again, but I will take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Spicy Cucumber Noodle Salad with Edamame
Cooking Light, April 2007

This cool noodle salad has a spicy-hot zip from the chile paste in the mayonnaise. A similar spread is tucked into some varieties of sushi.

8 ounces uncooked soba (buckwheat noodles)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1 cup diced English cucumber
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons white miso (soybean paste)
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 1/4 cups fresh bean sprouts

Cook soba in boiling water 2 minutes; add edamame. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain; cool. Place soba mixture in a bowl. Add cucumber and onions.

Combine mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients (through oil); stir with a whisk. Pour over the soba mixture; toss well. Top with bean sprouts.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: