Monday, April 30, 2007

Sweet Jamaican Rice, and Cajun Shrimp

Tonight was my last class of the semester (YAY!) so I made a tasty tropical dinner for us to celebrate. It's very quick to put together. Here is the story behind it: I've read cooking magazines for as long as I can remember and have watched the Food Network since its inception, but didn't have much actual cooking experience until I was in high school. During my senior year of high school my mom worked with me to try to teach me how to actually cook. So this meal was one of the first meals I ever really helped make. I loved it then, and love it now!

The rice is very quick and easy, especially if you use 10-minute microwave rice. I love the fruitiness. I wish I'd gotten a spicier chutney though for more of a kick.

The shrimp doesn't require a recipe - it's just raw peeled shrimp tossed with a Cajun seasoning (I used McCormick's) and sauteed in olive oil. It goes really nicely with the fruity rice. This is a meal we will inevitably eat again!

Sweet Jamaican Rice
From Southern Living, March 1996 (?)

2 cups rice -- hot, cooked
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges -- drained and chopped
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple -- drained
1/2 cup red bell pepper -- chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds -- toasted
1/3 cup green onions -- sliced
1/4 cup flaked coconut -- toasted
2 Tablespoons hot mango chutney
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all ingredients in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: