Saturday, April 21, 2007

Potato, Caramelized Onion, and Feta Pizza

Giant had a good selection of Vidalia onions this week, so I thought it would be a nice time to try this pizza recipe. We both enjoy potatoes, pizza, onions, and cheese, and this combines all of those ingredients.

I followed the recipe as written, except that I skipped the sun-dried tomatoes. I don't like sun-dried tomatoes. So I didn't bother rehydrating or anything. That saved a lot of time. I also saved time by putting the pizza dough in the oven at the same time as the potatoes, and then taking it out after 10 minutes. For some reason the recipe says to do them separately, but I think that's just a waste of time. It worked out well following my own timeline.

That being said, it was good, but not great. It's fun to have potatoes on my pizza, but I still just felt meh about it. It may have been the thyme - I tend to shy away from thyme. It doesn't always taste delicious to me. Maybe if I tried this again, I would omit the thyme, or at least reduce it. Anyway. We'll keep the recipe but I doubt we'll make it again.

Potato, Caramelized Onion, and Feta Pizza
From Cooking Light, May 2000

1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 (11-ounce) package refrigerated French bread dough
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 cups thinly sliced small red potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
1/4 cup tomato purée
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine tomatoes and water; let stand, covered, 30 minutes. Drain tomatoes; coarsely chop.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Cook 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.

Unroll the bread dough, and flatten into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place the dough on a 12-inch pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Pierce dough with a fork. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes, and set aside.

Combine potatoes and next 5 ingredients (potatoes through salt) in a bowl. Coat a jelly-roll pan with cooking spray; arrange potatoes in a single layer in prepared pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned, stirring once.

Spread the tomato purée over crust. Top with potatoes, caramelized onions, and sun-dried tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crust is browned.

Yield: 8 servings

No comments: