Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snickerdoodles

Last night we made Golden Leek-Potato Soup with Cheddar Toasts. It was tasty as usual. It's been awhile since I bothered to make the cheddar toasts, so I did and now I realize how wonderful they can be. I will make them regularly from now on.

Tonight we had Fettuccine and Tofu with Peanut Sauce, which was also tasty as usual. I added almost 1/4 cup of sriracha sauce (instead of the 2 tsp called for), added some extra green onions, and tossed in some mung bean sprouts, all of which were good changes.

Earlier today we discovered it was snowing, which obviously necessitates baking some cookies. We had no chocolate chips or baking chocolate, few nuts, and not a whole lot of flour, but we eventually found a recipe we had the ingredients for. I've made this recipe from Everyday Food before and loved them. They are the same cookies my mom used to make when I was little, except we called them snickerdoodles. The only difference is that my mom's recipe used shortening, which I abhor, and this recipe does not. We will continue to make these again and again.

Cinnamon-Sugar Cookies
Everyday Food, September 2004

These cookies will keep up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature; include a few marshmallows to help the cookies stay moist.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still slightly firm
1 2/3 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, cream butter and 1 2/3 cups sugar until ligt, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; beat, scraping bowl as needed, until dough comes together when squeezed (it will appear dry).

2. Make the topping: in a small bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.

3. Shape dough: Scoop 48 level tablespoons. Squeeze each tightly with fist; roll into balls. Roll balls in topping to coat evenly. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheet; flatten with bottom of a glass. Sprinkle tops with remaining topping.

4. Bake, one sheet at a time, until tops are puffed and crackly, and bottoms are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly on sheets; transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Yield: 4 dozen

1 comment:

Denise said...

I made these on Saturday and now they are all gone because I keep eating them. I think I will make them again so Jason has a nice treat when he gets home.