Monday, January 08, 2007

Broccoli Parmesan Casserole

My mom used to make this recipe a lot when I was growing up. At the time, the recipe included chunks of cooked chicken, but once I went vegetarian she modified it for me to eat. I have always really enjoyed this dish a lot. Tonight was the first time I'd ever made it on my own, though! I'm proud to say it came out exactly how my mom makes it. We traditionally serve it over noodles, but it would also be good over rice (which you could also toss into the casserole itself). Don't be fooled - it is much more substantial than it sounds. It's very filling and heavy, not saucy. Oh, and if you feel the need to eat meat, you can easily chop up a cooked chicken breast and mix it in before baking the casserole.

Broccoli Parmesan Casserole
As written by my mom

3 8-oz blocks of cream cheese
2 C milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
32 Oz package of frozen broccoli
1 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese

Put the cream cheese and milk into large pan, and "melt" cheese on low heat, stirring frequently. Once milk and cheese are creamy, add garlic powder and garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Cook on low, stirring often, until sauce is thick and bubbly and parmesan cheese is all mixed in. (Depending on thickness of sauce, I sometimes a bit more Parmesan cheese...) While making the sauce, you can microwave the broccoli, right in the plastic bag. Just poke some holes in it, set it on a paper towel in the microwave, and cook for 5 minutes on High. May need to continue zapping it a bit until broccoli is defrosted; but does not need to be cooked through and through. Drain completely. Add broccoli to sauce stirring well to combine.

Place casserole in 375 degree oven (either in oven-proof pan or in a shallow greased pyrex casserole dish. Do not cover. Cook for about 30-45 minutes, until casserole is "set". (It also "sets up" after sitting for a few minutes before serving.)

Yield: about 6 servings

Photo Added January 11, 2009:
casserole

1 comment:

Denise said...

My mom makes something eerily similar to this, only she uses a can of cream of mushroom soup, mixes in the brocolli, sprinkles a lot of parm on top, and then bakes it until whenever. I don't know. She always kind of whipped it together, but broccoli and parmesean cheese is amazing.