Sunday, January 07, 2007

Blackened Salmon Sandwich

Tonight I thought we'd try some fish. This recipe from Eating Well sounded pretty good so I decided to make it. We had two minor obstacles while making it. First, the frozen wild salmon I'd purchased from Trader Joe's wasn't fully thawed when I started to prepare dinner. A soak in a bowl of hot water helped with that. Second, the avocado inexplicably decided it didn't want to come out of its shell, and didn't want to mash into the mayonnaise. I swear, it was ripe when I bought it! Despite these issues, the sandwich is pretty good. I'm not a big fan of fish but I try to eat it from time to time. I liked the blackening seasoning (which I usually use on shrimp). He liked the sandwich; he said it reminded him of a Big Mac for some reason. It's a good dish and I'm sure people who love fish would love this recipe. I don't think we will make it again though.

Blackened Salmon Sandwich
Forget the Filet-O-Fish; this may be the perfect fish sandwich. Blackening seasoning and sliced red onion add a little kick and the creamy avocado spread melts in your mouth. Make it a Meal: Serve with steamed asparagus or sautéed zucchini, oven fries and a salad.

1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
2 teaspoons blackening or Cajun seasoning (see Ingredient note)
1 small avocado, pitted
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
4 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
1 cup arugula
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion

Ingredient note: Cajun seasoning is a spice blend that usually includes cayenne and black pepper, salt, thyme, garlic and onion powder and paprika. Look for it in the spice section of the supermarket. To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)

1. Oil grill rack, preheat grill to high.

2. Rub blackening (or Cajun) seasoning on both sides of salmon. Grill until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.

3. Mash together avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl.

4. To assemble sandwiches, spread the avocado mixture on the bottom half of each roll. Top with the salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: