Friday, December 01, 2006

Ravioli, Calzones, and Broccoli

Wednesday night I made Toasted Ravioli again, which I always enjoy.

I made it with roasted broccoli, from a recipe I tried like 4-5 years ago and never made again. After a bit of research I discovered it is from an old episode of Cooking Live with Sara Moulton on the Food Network. Anyway. It's very very yummy. I like it as a cooking method for broccoli. I will make this again.

Roasted Broccoli
1 lb broccoli
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 500°. Wash and drain broccoli. Pat dry. Cut into florets. In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with the oil and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange florets in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, turning once, for 12 minutes, or until just tender. Transfer broccoli to a serving bowl. Toss with butter and season with salt and pepper.

Yield: 4 servings

Photo added on May 31, 2008:
broccoli


Last night I made Calzones from a quick recipe found on Baking Sheet. Pretty quick and simple, but the pizza dough I bought was kind of sub-par and I wasn't impressed. I don't think it's the recipe's fault but I still probably won't repeat it.

Calzones
1 recipe basic pizza dough, risen once
cheeses: mozarella, ricotta
veggies (pre-cooked) : broccoli, spinach; mushrooms
meats (pre-cooked): sausage, chicken
marinara sauce: optional

Preheat oven to 400F.

Divide the pizza dough into 6 equal pieces and let rest for a few minutes. Working with once piece at a time, roll out into a thin, flat circle, about 1/4-inch thick. Spread half of the circle with filling of your choice (a little bit of sauce topped with a pile of meat/cheese/veggies) and fold over the other half of the circle. Pinch tightly with the prongs of a fork to seal. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cut a small slit or two into each calzone with a sharp knife and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Makes 6.

Note: The calzones can be frozen when they are filled but unbaked. They will take longer to bake, but they can be placed directly into the oven from the freezer - on a baking sheet, of course.

No comments: