Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Portobello Cheeseburgers & Chipotle Fries

These burgers, from the October 2006 issue of Cooking Light, sounded promising. They aren't traditional "cheeseburgers" since the cheese is mixed into a spread that goes on the bun. And the cheese the recipe calls for is blue cheese. I don't really like blue cheese, so I replaced it with some feta I had on hand. I also replaced the arugula with some fresh spinach. I also followed some reviewer suggestions on the website and added a tidbit of garlic to the mayonnaise. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special. Maybe it would have been more special if I had used the gorgonzola? I don't know. I did happily eat two, and enjoyed them. I just won't make these again.

The real winner of my meal was the chipotle fries I got from Trader Joe's. Oh my. They're just frozen french fries, but after they're done baking you toss them in a chipotle-sauce. They are fantastic. They went very well with my burgers. I will definitely be buying these again because I loved them!

Portobello Cheeseburgers

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 (4-inch) portobello caps
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
4 (2-ounce) sandwich rolls
2 cups trimmed arugula
1/2 cup sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender, turning once. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Remove from heat.

Combine cheese and mayonnaise, stirring well. Spread about 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture over bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 1/2 cup arugula and 2 tablespoons peppers. Place 1 mushroom on each serving, and top with top halves of rolls.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: