Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fettuccine and Tofu with Peanut Sauce

I've avoided making this recipe for a long time because the name is just so stupid ("finger-licking?"). But lately I've been eyeing it more and more because it just sounded so tasty. I finally gave in and decided to make it. It's very good!!! Maybe not as awesome as Stir-Fried Tofu and Spring Greens with Peanut Sauce (one of my favorites), but it's still very delicious. It was a little soupy, so next time I'd cut back on the amount of vegetable broth. I would make this again, but I will continue to refer to it as simply "Fettuccine and Tofu with Peanut Sauce" because it sounds more appealing to me that way.


Fettuccine and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
Cooking Light, April 2001

This dish has endless variations: Substitute chicken, pork, or shrimp for the tofu and almost any kind of pasta for the fettuccine. Or add vegetables of your choice.

1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (Note: I used veggie broth)
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrot

Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: