Monday, November 13, 2006

Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushrooms

I haven't been feeling well and I've been super stressed out, so that means it is time for comfort food! And to me, that means this recipe for Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushrooms. It's from an old episode of The Best Of.. on the Food Network. It aired maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I've made this several times over the past few years. I don't think I've posted the recipe here though. This is probably one of the most unhealthy recipes I make (though I try to lighten it significantly), but it is also one of my favorites.

Anyway. I use half and half or light cream instead of cream in the gravy (though this makes the gravy less thick than full-fat cream does). I refuse to use 1/4 or 1/2 lb of butter so I just use a few tablespoons. Low-fat milk also is used in a sad attempt to make it less fattening.

Tonight I didn't make the mashed potatoes and instead served it with some boxed au gratin potatoes from Trader Joe's. Yum!

Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushrooms with Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

4 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup milk
4 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper
1 cup flour
1 cup coarsely ground bread crumbs
1 tablespoon thyme
1/2 pound melted butter
Mashed Potatoes, recipe follows
Cream Gravy, recipe follows


Stem and brush off surface debris from mushrooms. Whisk milk and eggs until incorporated. Add salt and pepper. Mix flour, bread crumbs, thyme, and additional salt and pepper.

Heat butter in skillet. Dredge mushroom in egg wash, then in crumb mixture. Fry mushroom until golden brown on both sides. Serve with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.

Mashed Potatoes:
5 baking potatoes like russets, unpeeled
1/4 pound butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper


Boil potatoes until fork tender. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients and mash well.


Cream Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper


Make the roux by melting butter in a saucepan. Add flour and stir until incorporated. Add heavy cream and stir well until simmering. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Yield: 4 servings


Photo added July 12, 2008:
mushroom

No comments: