Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Spaghetti Pie

My dinner tonight was tasty. It was not anything particularly special or groundbreaking, there was nothing gourmet or complex about the ingredients or flavors. But it worked very well as a comforting weeknight throw-together meal, and, as a result, I would definitely make it again.

My changes: instead of basic "tomato sauce with garlic," I used TJ's tomato and basil marinara sauce; I substituted soy crumbles for the ground round; and I didn't bother simmering the sauce, I just heated it up with the soy crumbles.

Spaghetti Pie
From Cooking Light, May 2000

1 pound ground round
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans tomato sauce with garlic -- (8-ounce)
1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup (2 oz.) 1/3 less-fat cream cheese -- softened
4 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
Cooking spray
1 1/3 cups shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese -- (about 5 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and return meat to pan. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine the sour cream, green onions, and cream cheese in a small bowl, and set aside.

Place the spaghetti noodles in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the sour cream mixture over spaghetti noodles. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Yield: 6 servings

Photo added retroactively on February 1, 2008:
pie

2 comments:

Joy said...

this looks so good !

i wish i had a kitchen so i could cook.

i miss you. =/

Ashley said...

I've had this one in my stash for years - thanks for reminding me how good it sounds! Yum!!