Monday, October 23, 2006

Curred Red Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew

Tonight I made Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew with Garbanzo Beans from the Dec. 2005 issue of Bon Appetit. It was reviewed highly on the CLBB so I thought I'd give it a shot.

For some bizarre reason I could not find Swiss Chard :( So I substituted kale. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written.

My lentils and beans sucked up all the liquid so this ended up being less of a stew and more of a dry curry. It was almost too dry. Next time I would increase the amount of broth used. I really liked the addition of plain yogurt and kind of wished there was more of that creamy texture in the stew. So don't skip the yogurt. I did like this dish, and I'm taking it to work for lunch tomorrow, but I was not super impressed. It's a nice curry, extremely easy, and quite a healthy dish. I'll save the recipe but I doubt I will make it again.

CURRIED RED LENTIL AND SWISS CHARD STEW WITH GARBANZO BEANS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
1 large bunch or 2 small bunches Swiss chard, tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
1 pound red lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
Plain yogurt

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 13 minutes. Mix in curry and cayenne. Add broth and chard. Increase heat; bring to boil. Add lentils and garbanzos; reduce heat to medium.

Cover; simmer until lentils are tender, stirring twice, about 10 minutes. Divide stew among bowls. Top with yogurt.

Yield: 6 servings

Picture from Bon Appetit:
stew

No comments: