Monday, September 18, 2006

The Loaded Potato Pizza

I really wanted to try this recipe from Mr. Emeril Lagasse, but didn't feel like putting forth so much effort (making mashed potatoes from scratch, rolling out pizza dough, etc) so I decided to simplify it.

This is what I did:
*Used Boboli pizza crust instead of dough
*Got a tub of store-bought Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes and mixed a little garlic and butter into it, and used it in place of the homemade mashed potatoes
*Put all the toppings onto the Boboli and baked for 8 minutes at 450 degrees.

My other changes: I added some green onions, omitted the Fontina, and used veggie bacon cooked in the same pan that I caramelized the onions in.

It was very simple and turned out to be extremely delicious. I would like to try it with the homemade garlic mashed potatoes sometime, but for now Bob Evans is my friend. I will definitely make this again. When I do, I will probably use shredded Cheddar or a Cheddar-Jack combo in place of the provolone. It was good, but the bacon (veggie bacon, in my case) added enough of a smoky flavor, so the provolone was a little bit of overkill. Plus, I put cheddar cheese on my baked potatoes so it seems appropriate for this pizza.

The Loaded Potato Pizza
Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
15 medium red potatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
6 large cloves garlic
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Basic Pizza Dough, recipe follows (J/K, I didn't copy the recipe for that part, so you'll have to be creative)
2 cups garlic mashed potatoes
3 ounces sauteed onions
3 small tomatoes, sliced thin
4 ounces shredded provolone
4 ounces shredded fontina
4 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 teaspoon onion salt

Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Combine potatoes, broth, and garlic in a large saucepan. Add additional water if necessary in order to keep all potatoes completely submerged. Bring to boil than reduce heat to low. Continue to cook until potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.

Drain and mash the potatoes and garlic. Add butter, salt, pepper, and whipping cream. Whip until it has a creamy texture.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F with a pizza stone.

Roll out the dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle. Place in a pizza pan or on a pizza peel. Spread on the garlic mashed potatoes. Evenly sprinkle the sauteed onions. Layer the sliced tomatoes. Evenly sprinkle the cheeses, bacon crumbles, cracked black pepper, and onion salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments: