Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lemon Spaghetti

I've seen like a million people review Giada's Lemon Spaghetti and rate it very highly, but it never seemed substantial enough to constitute a meal. Then someone on the CLBB posted about things she added to it to make it a big substantial dish, and it sounded delicious so I went ahead and made it.

My changes: I used shrimp instead of scallops and arugula instead of spinach (since spinach is still off-limits due to e.coli).

I thought it was very good. It was so quick to put together yet still looked and tasted fancy. I wasn't blown away by the lemon spaghetti; I have no idea why it's so beloved because it isn't particularly special. But with the addition of shrimp, arugula, and tomatoes it was quite tasty. The lemon complimented the other flavors very well. I would make this again sometime for a quick weeknight dinner.

Lemon Spaghetti
Recipe by Giada, notes by Robyn1007 on CL

1 pound spaghetti
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

Suggested Variation (CLBB - Robyn1007): Made the Lemon Spaghetti which was entirely too easy! Then I seared the scallops with a bit of salt and pepper in olive oil. Set aside to keep warm. In the same pan I sauteed minced garlic in olive oil and then added a touch of balsamic vinegar and chopped ripe tomato and sauteed until just warm. At the same time I wilted some spinach. To serve I placed the spinach in the pasta bowl, topped with spaghetti then scallops and the warmed tomatoes. Top with basil and parmesan and YUMMY!

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: