Sunday, September 24, 2006

Cheesy Baked Tortellini

Yeah, I don't know if you've noticed but I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today.

My dinner tonight was Cheesy Baked Tortellini, a recipe by Giada de Laurentiis ( <3 ). It was very good and surprisingly filling. The mascarpone makes the sauce soooooo creamy and it binds to the pasta so beautifully. I suppose you could substitute ricotta, but you'd be missing out. I've never cooked with mascarpone (except for making tiramisu) so that was fun and exciting. I would make this again. My changes: I halved the recipe (obviously) so it took less time to cook (about 25 min). I also didn't use fresh herbs - when do I ever? - and omitted the thyme completely because I don't like it. Instead of smoked mozzarella, I used a combination of shredded mozzarella and sliced provolone. Cheesy Baked Tortellini
Olive oil
2 cups marinara sauce
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 pound purchased cheese tortellini
2 ounces thinly sliced smoked mozzarella
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking dish.

Whisk the sauce, mascarpone cheese, parsley and thyme in a large bowl to blend. Cook the tortellini in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. Add the tortellini to the sauce and toss to coat. Transfer the tortellini mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top the mixture with the smoked mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheeses on top melt, about 30 minutes.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Photo added 4/23/09:
tortellini

1 comment:

emily h. said...

mmm I found this recipe here and decided to try it - thanks for posting because it was delicious! I used ravioli because it was cheaper than tortellini, dried herbs because I already had them, the bottled parmesean because I already had that, and mexican 4-cheese blend instead of smoked mozz because I forgot to get mozz at the store. Oh and half crushed tomatoes and half spag sauce instead of marinara, because I had those too. (Basically, I forgot to bring the recipe to the store so I was just buying things I could remember, namely the pasta and the marscapone). And I added black olives.

Anyway it was really tasty! Even if it was very different from the real recipe.