Monday, August 14, 2006

Calabacitas Soup

I haven't had many "excellents" lately, so I wasn't expecting much of this. Actually, as I was making it I was thinking "Man, this looks a lot like my vegetable chili." I figured it was going to be similar to that, and then I'd probably never make it again because why do I need two recipes for the same thing?

But then I added in the cheeses, and ohhhh man the whole thing changed. It is delicious. I absolutely loved it. I abhor Velveeta but it is absolutely necessary for this recipe. No other cheese would work right. Anyway this was really, really good. I would definitely make it again.

My changes: Halved the recipe (and still had wayyyy too much left over), used more zucchini instead of the summer squash, used canned corn instead of fresh, and used low-fat Neufchatel instead of cream cheese.

Calabacitas Soup
From the CLBB

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 medium jalapeno chile pepper -- seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano -- Mexican
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
29 ounces chicken broth -- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans
10 ounces canned tomatoes with green chilies -- undrained
2 medium zucchini -- diced
2 medium yellow squash -- diced
2 each corn on the cob -- remove kernels from cob
4 ounces green chilies -- canned, diced, undrained
5 ounces Velveeta Light -- cubed, about 3/4 cup
3 ounces Light cream cheese -- cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: sliced green onions & chopped cilantro -- optional

In a large pot, heat olive oil and sauté the onion until tender. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook 1 minute longer. Add the zucchini and corn and cook an additional 1 minute.

Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and green chilies. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until squash is barely tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta and cream cheese; stir until cheeses are melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle into bowls and top with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: