Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mozzarella-Stuffed Grilled Portobellos

I bought some fresh mozzarella last week for a recipe I never actually made, so I needed a recipe to use it up this week. This recipe from the current issue of Bon Appetit sounded great and got excellent reviews, so I decided to make it.

I did try to lighten the recipe a bit, because oh my goodness. A quarter cup of olive oil? An entire stick of butter? Really, is that necessary? So I reduced the oil to just a few tablespoons and the butter by about half. I also slightly reduced the amount of cheese used. But don't worry, even with all these changes there was still about half a cup of the filling left over. I also used my grill pan instead of a grill (obviously, since we do not own a grill). I grilled them for about two minutes and then put them on a pan under the broiler until the cheese melted (about 4 minutes).

I thought this meal was very, very tasty. Next time I will leave out the thyme. I really don't like the flavor of thyme but I keep adding it to things anyway. But the filling in general was delicious.

Mozzarella-Stuffed Grilled Portobellos with Balsamic Marinade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
6 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
1 1/2 cups panko
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 5
ounces)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Whisk oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 1 garlic clove in small bowl for marinade. Using spoon, scrape out gills from mushrooms and place mushrooms on rimmed baking sheet. Brush marinade over both sides of mushrooms, arrange hollow side up, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Mix panko, next 5 ingredients and remaining 2 garlic cloves in medium bowl. Drizzle butter and remaining teaspoon vinegar over pank mixture and toss. Divide panko mixture among mushrooms, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges and paking down slightly. Place mushrooms on grill, stuffing side up; cover grill and cook until cheese melts and juices bubble at edges of mushrooms, rearranging mushrooms occasionally for even cooking (do not turn over), about 6 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: