Tuesday, July 04, 2006

KFC Coleslaw

I love the coleslaw at KFC. So when I found this copycat recipe on the CL Bulletin Boards (swquilts), I decided I must make it for the 4th of July. Plus I got to use my new food processor to shred the cabbage.

I followed the recipe as written, except I added a tablespoon or two of horseradish. The coleslaw at KFC has this distinctly spicy under-flavor, and nothing in the original recipe would have caused that. So I added horseradish and it was exactly perfect.

I think that this would have been perfect if I had doubled the amount of sauce. Maybe I used too much cabbage? I don't know. But there just didn't seem to be enough liquid to cover the cabbage. So when I ate it, it just tasted like cabbage. I'll probably keep this recipe around to try again, but I will double the liquid next time. And still add the horseradish. :)

KFC Copycat Coleslaw
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup lowfat mayonnaise
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
8 cups cabbage -- finely chopped
1/4 cup grated carrots

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice until smooth. Add cabbage and carrots and mix until blended with the dressing. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Yield: 8 servings

No comments: