Sunday, July 02, 2006

Blueberry Pie

Yesterday, we went blueberry picking at Butler's Orchard, about a mile from our apartment. We got a whole big bucket full of them. I froze some, and then I used the rest to make pies this afternoon. I made two blueberry pies, with my standard blueberry recipe. It's from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, and I love it. This time, however, I decided to skip the double-crust and do a latticework top. And then I had some extra dough so I added little embellishments with cookie cutters.

Blueberry Pie
Fresh berries surely make a difference in fruit pies, but you can be successful with frozen fruit, too. You can substitute 2 (14 oz) packages frozen blueberries, thawed and drained. Just increase the flour to 1/2 cup.

5 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Pastry for doublecrust 9 inch pie (Note: I used Pillsbury pre-made pie dough)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp sugar

Sprinkle berries with lemon juice; set aside.

Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Place in a 9 inch pie plate.

Combine 1 cup sugar and next 3 ingredients; add to berries, stirring well. Pour into pastry shell, and dot with butter.

Roll remaining pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Place over filling; seal and crimp edges. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top of pastry with beaten egg, and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden. Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

Yield: 1 pie

Here is a picture of my beautiful creation:
pies

1 comment:

Cate said...

Love the heart cut-outs - too cute!