Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Baba Gha-Hummus

I like baba ghanoush, and I like hummus. This recipe from Cooking Light from 2002 combines both of them, so it sounded good.

I thought it was kind of bland. I kind of wish I'd just made some hummus, without bothering with eggplant. Or maybe just eaten some leftovers from yesterday. I will not make this again. Also, when I was stirring up the tahini, it sloshed and I got sesame oil all over me and that kind of sucked.

Baba Gha-Hummus
1 large eggplant
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame-seed paste)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 375°.

Pierce eggplant with a fork. Place eggplant on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool and peel; discard skin.

Combine eggplant, tahini, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.

Yield: 2 cups

No comments: