Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Green Tea Ice Cream

Sunday night we had one of our favorite meals: Leek, Potato, and Fontina Tart.

Last night, we had one of our other favorite meals: Fettuccine Bolognese.

Also last night, I decided to make some Green Tea Ice Cream. I found a recipe from Cooking Light from June 2002. I had all of the ingredients already, so it worked out. I used two bags of Celestial Seasonings White Tea with Pear, and one bag of Tazo Ohm tea (a green tea).

It was not excellent.

It has a very icy consistency, not at all creamy like it should be. It is also ridiculously sweet to the point where it is not pleasant even to me.

However, this will not deter me from making use of my ice cream maker this summer. I have a ton of ice creams I want to make, so my goal is going to be one per week. We'll see if I can stick to that. For reference, this is my ice cream maker, and it is wonderful.

And here is the recipe, in case you want to try making it yourself. Just maybe reduce the amount of sugar to about 1/4 or 1/2 a cup.

Green Tea Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons loose Chinese gunpowder green tea or green tea (about 3 tea bags)
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 cups whole milk

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add tea; cover and steep 5 minutes. Strain tea mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard tea leaves. Stir in lemon juice; chill completely.

Stir in milk. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon the ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 2 hours or until firm.

Yield: about 3 cups

No comments: