Friday, June 30, 2006

Edamame Dumplings

I like potstickers and Chinese dumplings, so I decided to try this recipe from the April 06 Cooking Light. The filling is made of edamame - green soy beans. You can buy them frozen, and they make for a very tasty snack. I'd never had them before but I will buy them again in the future.

The dumplings were good, didn't take too long to put together. I've never made potstickers that succeeded (they usually fall apart) but these worked perfectly. I liked them but it's not worth it to make them just for me. I will probably not make them again, unless it's for a Chinese New Year party or something (and we know I go to so many of those).

Edamame Dumplings
Sauce:
2 Tbsp chopped green onions
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp honey

Dumplings:
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
20 wonton wrappers
2 tsp cornstarch
Cooking spray
1/2 cup water, divided

1. To prepare sauce, combine the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.

2. To prepare dumplings, cook edamame according to package directions; drain. Rinse edamame with cold water; drain well. Combine edamame, juice, sesame oil, cumin, and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.

3. Working with 1 wonton wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying), spoon about 1 tsp edamame mixture in center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of dough with water; fold opposite corners to form a triangle, pinching points to seal. Place dumplings on a large baking sheet sprinkled with cornstarch.

4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Arrange half of dumplings in a single layer in pan; reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute or until bottoms begin to brown; turn. Add 1/4 cup water to pan; cover. Cook 30 seconds; uncover. Cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Repeat procedure with the remaining dumplings and water. Serve immediately with sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (5 dumplings each)

1 comment:

Auntie's Food Life said...

Hi, Lauren: Seeing as how you made the dumplings, I thought I'd share this recipe with you - I'd like to see what you think of it, if you try it - http://auntiesfoodlife.blogspot.com/2006/06/frittering-summer-away-aunties.html - it's for "Spinot Bomba," aka Broccoli Fritters or Spinach Fritters. It's an easy-to-make side dish that always leaves them asking for more.

We've been making it for 50 years, plus or minus, in my family, and it's always a big hit. Hope you like it!