Sunday, June 04, 2006

Couscous-Stuffed Portobellos

I got this recipe from the Cooking Light forums, but it's originally a Weight Watchers recipe. I thought it sounded pretty good so I decided to give it a shot.

My changes: I used a roasted-garlic flavored couscous instead of the mushroom flavor. And I couldn't find arugula so I omitted that.

The results: It was good, but the cooking method was ridiculous. I can understand why it asked for a water bath (so the mushrooms wouldn't dry out), but it backfired because the water kind of melted the couscous off of the mushrooms and it was a big mess. Also, I spilled the water out of the pan about 90 times while transporting it. I also accidentally dropped a ton of Parmesan cheese onto the floor of the oven, which almost set off the fire alarm. It was alright, but I wouldn't make this again because I don't have the patience for it.

Couscous Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
1 (6-ounce) package fat-free couscous with wild mushrooms
such as Marrakesh Express)
1 1/2 Cups water
3/4 Cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 Cup chopped arugula
3/4 Cup (3 ounces) preshredded fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 Cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 Teaspoon olive oil
1/4 Teaspoon pepper
4 Large portobello mushroom caps (about 1 pound)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Combine seasoning packet from couscous and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in couscous and bell pepper. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in arugula, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and feta cheese. Set aside.

3. Combine vinegar, oil, and pepper; brush over mushroom caps. Top each cap with 1 cup couscous mixture, pressing firmly to pack. Place stuffed caps in a shallow roasting pan; add water to pan to depth of 1/4 inch. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: