Thursday, May 18, 2006

Figs

Tonight my family came up from Connecticut and we went out to dinner at Figs, one of Todd English's restaurants on Beacon Hill in Boston. I've been wanting to eat at one of his restaurants for a long time so it was fun to finally go.

We waited about an hour for a table, because the restaurant was really, really tiny. It was also really hot because there was a brick oven in it, but no real ventilation. When we finally sat down though, we got some really good foccaccia and olive oil. Yum yum!

I ordered the Spicy Shrimp Pizza: spicy gulf shrimp with caramelized leeks & tomato sauce. It was good. The shrimp were delicious and super-spicy. I don't know what made them so spicy but it tasted almost like kimchee. Awesome.

My mom ordered the Asparagus Friites: crispy asparagus, arugula & honey mustard aioli. I helped her eat those. They were lightly breaded and crispy. The aioli was amazing and I love arugula so I ate all of that. She also ordered the Boston Bibb & Watercress Salad: toasted walnut dressing & a “shower” of Maytag blue cheese. She loved it. I tasted it even though I hate blue cheese, and was pleasantly surprised when I found it quite tasty. That is a big accomplishment! Good job, Todd English. Excellent.

My dad ordered the Caprese Salad: sliced heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, sliced red onion & parmesan cheese. I tasted this too and it was yummy. The mozzarella cheese was extremely high quality, which was impressive. Sometimes these salads just taste like cheese and tomato, but this was very complex and yummy. For his pizza he rather adventurously ordered the Fig & Prosciutto Pizza: crisp rosemary crust with fig & balsamic jam, prosciutto & gorgonzola cheese. I do not think he enjoyed it very much. He ate it, but kept making odd faces. I'm glad he was adventurous, but it's too bad he didn't like it. My mom liked it. I ate a piece of the crust with some of the jam and thought it was interesting, but I'd never eaten figs before so I didn't know what to expect.

Marc ordered the OLIVER’S Pizza: our version of the traditional tomato sauce, mozzarella & fresh basil, and XX ordered the Bronx Bomber: pepperoni, tomato sauce, mozzarella & fresh basil. They are not very adventurous. They enjoyed their pizzas but did not think they were anything special.

In summary, I am glad to have gone to Figs. I am glad I got to try one of Todd English's restaurants, even if it isn't one of the fancy-schmancy ones. I enjoyed my food. I wish it had been air-conditioned, but that's okay. If I wasn't leaving Boston, I might have gone back some time.

No comments: