Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cheese and Bean Enchiladas

We have a cheese enchiladas recipe from my mom that we really like, but it only has cheese and onions as the filling. Even though it's tasty, I felt like I needed it to be more substantial - with actual nutritious value, so I kept my eye out for new recipes.

I found this recipe on the Cooking Light bulletin boards. It's similar to the recipe I use now, except...more substantial! Instead of just cheese, it has a bean filling. It was very good. The canned enchilada sauce is what really makes both of the dishes, so it didn't taste too different from the original recipe. I also enjoyed the fact that it cooked in 8 minutes, rather than in 45 minutes. Sweet. It was very quick to put together. I will definitely make this many times in the future.

Cheese and Bean Enchiladas
1 cup chopped onion
1 (16 oz) can of fat free refried beans w/ chiles
2 cups reduced fat Mexican Cheese or sharp cheddar
12 (6 in) corn tortillas
1 (19 oz.0 can enchilada sauce
2 tbsps. low fat sour cream
fresh cilantro (optional, I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

* Place onion and beans in a microwave bowl and microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in 1 ½ cups cheese

* Stack tortillas and wrap in a damp paper towel, microwave for 1 minute or until soft. Pour half of the sauce on the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan; dip both sides of each tortilla. Spoon about ¼ cup bean mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange in the baking dish; top w/ remaining sauce and ½ cup cheese.

*Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes or until heated.

* Top w/ sour cream and cilantro.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments: