Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lemon-Lime Macaroon Pie

I made a lemon-lime macaroon pie for Something Awful's Iron Chef: Coconut competition. It seems we're having these happen more often, which is fine with me because it gives me a chance to be creative. So today I hacked together like 4 different recipes (from Cooking Light, a Florida Keys website, Real Simple magazine, and someone on a cooking forum, among others) and created this pie. It is really yummy. I will definitely make the crust again, though maybe with a chocolate filling; and I will definitely make the lime curd again, though maybe to work more as a sauce. I enjoyed it though. The only problem is that I didn't spray the pan enough so the crust stuck, which kind of sucked. But that's ok!

Lauren's Lemon-Lime Macaroon Pie
Filling:
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
A pinch of salt
Juice of four limes & one lemon (or a combination)
3 eggs
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp grated lemon or lime zest (I used some of both)

Crust:
2 2/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 egg whites

Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in juice and eggs with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with the whisk. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 1-2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and zest until butter melts.

Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 3 hours.

After the 3 hours, start the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, combine the coconut and egg whites and pulse until finely chopped. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Press the coconut into the pie plate, spreading it evenly. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden (or, in my case, nice and brown).

Pour the chilled filling into the prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 more hours, to give the filling time to thicken. Then eat!

my pie

No comments: