Monday, March 27, 2006

Vegetable Chowder

This was yummy. I got the recipe from Family Circle magazine. Which, by the way, I am probably not going to renew because it's kind of Christian-centric and it makes me uncomfortable. But anyway, it was a delicious recipe. I put it together in like 20 minutes. I didn't change anything, other than cutting the recipe in half and omitting the sage (we don't have any). Xx, however, hated it. He said it had "too much corn," which was kind of true but it was a corn chowder so you kind of would expect it to have corn. So he will not eat it again. I will probably keep the recipe on hand and make large batches to freeze for days when he is at work and I am on my own for dinner. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Vegetable Chowder
Saute 3 carrots finely chopped, and 2 onions, chopped, in 2 Tbsp butter. Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth and 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and sage. Bring to a boil; add 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced, 6 cups corn kernels and 2 cups half and half. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix 3 Tbsp each cornstarch and sherry or water until smooth. Add a little soup liquid to thin; stir into soup. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt. Garnish with chopped chives. Makes 8 servings.

No comments: