Monday, March 13, 2006

Santa Fe Nacho Pizzas

I copied this recipe out of Betty Crocker's Vegetarian Cooking. It was very good and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. I will definitely make this again, and I will probably play with it a little and see how I can tweak it.

My changes: I used reduced-fat biscuits and I omitted the olives. Instead of prepared bean dip, I bought a can of black beans, mixed them with some cumin and about 1/4 cup hot salsa, and mashed it up with a potato masher. I liked the way that turned out, especially since I could load up the little pizzas without worrying about fattiness (the FritoLay dip is not very healthy). Oh and instead of a cheddar-jack cheese, I got Sargento's low-fat Mexican 4-cheese blend and it was perfect.

Here is the original recipe:
Santa Fe Nacho Pizzas
1 can (10.8 oz) refrigerated dough for large flaky biscuits
3 Tbsp black bean dip
1/3 cup thick-and-chunky salsa
2 Tbsp chopped canned green chiles
2 medium green onions, chopped (about 2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp sliced ripe olives
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar marble cheese (3oz)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Unroll biscuit dough. Press or roll dough into 5 inch circles on ungreased cookie sheet. Spread dough with bean dip. Top with salsa, chiles, onions, and olives. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.

2. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown and cheese is melted.

Yield: 5 servings, but I got 6 mini-pizzas out of it. There's enough bean mixture to use up the extra unused biscuits, too, so really you could get about 8-10 pizzas depending on how many biscuits are in your can (mine had 8).

No comments: