Monday, March 06, 2006

New Mexican Hot Chocolate

It was a stressful day and we need to go grocery shopping so we just had leftovers for dinner, so I thought I would make things happier with some homemade hot chocolate after dinner. I'd had this recipe around for awhile so I decided to make it since we had most of the ingredients. We didn't have any honey, so I used a little bit of maple syrup and some brown sugar. *Shrug* Not sure if that was the best substitution, but it worked for us. It was yummy and was just what we needed. Oh it's from Cooking Light.

New Mexican Hot Chocolate
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup honey
5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and extract, stirring constantly with a whisk. Heat to 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around edge, stirring with a whisk (do not boil).

Makes 8 servings (very small servings! I halved the recipe and it was just barely enough for two mugs!)

No comments: