Thursday, March 16, 2006

Mexican Rice Casserole

This is a recipe we made one time for a friend's very picky family, and they actually ate it, which is super. So I kept the recipe. I made it last night and then put it straight into the refrigerator so I could warm it up for dinner tonight (I got home late from class). Yum yum! I made it with brown rice this time, which I thought was yummier. It's excellent warmed up. I am looking forward to eating it for lunches over the next couple of days. The recipe is from Madhur Joffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook, page 398.

My changes: I used brown microwave rice, I didn't roast the poblano peppers, I omitted the cilantro, I used a four-cheese Mexican Blend instead of plain cheddar, and I used a bit less oil than is called for.

Mexican-Style Rice Casserole with Corn, Sour Cream, and Cheese
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 cups sour cream
6 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
6 cups cooked rice
1 3/4 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
1 1/2 lightly packed cups grated Cheddar Cheese

Put the oil in a large saute pan or other wide pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the onion and garlic. Stir and saute until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes, turning the heat down if necessary. Add the roasted diced poblanos and stir another minute. Let everything cool off. Combine the sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt, and the cilantro. Stir to mix and set aside.

Stir the rice and corn into the poblano mixture, then add the sour cream and blend it in. Finally, blend in the grated cheese. Put this mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish and cover it. You may now refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the casserole for 45 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 6.

No comments: