Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lower-Fat Fettuccine Alfredo

He has been wanting oozy-drippy fettuccine alfredo lately, but we are trying to lose weight so that is not an option. So I found a recipe on Cooking Light that makes a low-fat version that is still gooey and saucy. It was very easy to make and was pretty good, but it's not the same as you'd get straight from a jar. I'm not sure yet if I would make it again.

I served it with my mom's poor-toast: hamburger bun topped with a mixture of mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, and sliced green onions (should be a pasty consistency) and broiled. Yum. It's called poor-toast because it's what she used to make when my family was poor when I was younger.

Fettuccine Alfredo
1 pound uncooked fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half-and-half, cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add pasta, tossing gently to coat.

Makes 6 servings

No comments: