Wednesday, January 25, 2006

West Indies Mahi-Mahi

This is from a really old issue of Cooking Light. I've had this recipe for freaking forever. I think it's from 2001 or 2002. But I finally made it, and it was delicious!!! It was pretty cheap too, since I had all the spices on-hand. It was about $6 total. I liked it a lot, which is surprising because I rarely find fish recipes that make me happy. This is a definite make-again. Oh, side note: Mahi-mahi is apparently not in season right now, so we bought it frozen at Trader Joe's. It was like $3 for two filets. Sweet. The night before, put them in ziploc bags and pop them in the refrigerator til you're ready to marinate and cook.

West Indies Mahi-Mahi
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro [Note: I didn't use this because Cyrus hates cilantro]
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 finely chopped seeded jalapeƱo peppers
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 green onions, chopped
4 (6-ounce) mahimahi fillets
Cooking spray

Combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Place fish in a shallow dish; pour marinade over fish. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.

Prepare grill or broiler.

Remove fish from dish, reserving marinade. Place fish on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, basting frequently with reserved marinade.

Serves 4. [I cut the recipe in half for the two of us]

No comments: