Friday, January 27, 2006

Chicken & Dumplings

This is a super-easy recipe I found in a recent issue of Real Simple magazine. The original recipe called for one 3 1/2 to 4 lb cooked rotisserie chicken (which you can find at the deli section of the grocery store, or you can buy one at Boston Market). I, obviously, replaced it with fake meat. As I said yesterday, I decided to use the MorningStar Farms Chicken Strips Meal Starters. I cooked those up and then cut them into small pieces, then continued with the recipe.

Chicken & Dumplings
1 pkg soy-chicken strips
1 10 oz package frozen mixed vegetables
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream-of-mushroom soup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 10-count tube refrigerated biscuits

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the chicken, vegetables, soup, salt, pepper, and 3/4 cup water in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, cover the filling with the biscuits, and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Makes 4-6 servings



My changes:
-First, I had to call it "chicken casserole" because Xx kept associating "dumplings" with "poop."
-Instead of the basic veggie mixture (peas-corn-carrots-greenbeans), I used a bag of frozen veggies that had corn, baby corn, broccoli, and carrots.

My thoughts:
I loooooved it. It was very quick, very very easy, but tasted like it involved a lot more work. I've never had 'real' chicken & dumplings, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really liked it a lot. Xx liked the chicken but didn't like the veggie mixture, so next time I'm going to use one that I saw that contained potatoes. I think that will help :)

My only problem was that the biscuits didn't cook all the way through, so I ended up just serving the cooked tops and trashing the gooey uncooked dough. Next time, I'm going to pre-bake the biscuits and then put them on the casserole for the last few minutes of baking. I think it'll cook more evenly that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this.
i am going to try out this recipe sometime.


<3 joy.