Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cheese Enchilada Casserole

Tonight I made a Cheese Enchilada Casserole from Cooking Light. It was super-easy and super-fast to make, which always wins points with me. He was skeptical at first because he hates it when I "make recipes compete with other recipes" - i.e., he really likes my normal cheese enchilada dish and didn't want anything to replace it. But I explained that this casserole was entirely different from my enchiladas, it just happened to have a similar name.

Changes: I didn't have monterey jack cheese so I just used cheddar in the whole recipe. This was a good decision, since I like cheddar cheese.

I really enjoyed it. He loved it until he discovered the chunks of tomato- then he did not love it as much. He picked out every tomato. But he ate the rest of it, which is a good sign. I will definitely make this again, but I will need to find something to replace the tomatoes. Maybe I will used canned diced tomatoes, since they have a different texture and maybe wouldn't be as noticeable.

Cheese Enchilada Casserole
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onions
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
9 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
1 cup taco sauce (such as Ortega)
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese


Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Arrange 3 tortillas in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of cheese mixture over tortillas. Repeat procedure with 3 tortillas and remaining cheese mixture; top with remaining tortillas.

Pour taco sauce over tortillas; sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yield: 4 servings

Edit: I am also now making carrot-cake muffins to eat during Lost, but it is from a mix. I just had to add milk and bake it, which was pretty sweet.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Perkis said...

Would you consider posting your regular cheese enchilada recipe sometime? Thanks!
elizabeth
emelvin74@yahoo.com