Friday, January 20, 2006

Baked Potato Soup

Another potato soup, another recipe from Cooking Light. This takes awhile because you have to bake the potatoes for a full hour before you can concoct the soup, but it's worth it because it is tasty and delicious.

Baked Potato Soup

4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (we use Bacos, which are soy)

Preheat oven to 400°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash. Discard skins.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Sprinkle each serving with cheese, onions, and bacon.


Yield: 8 servings


Also, Edy's Slow-Churned Light Ice Cream is being offered in their seasonal Girl Scout Cookie flavors right now. Not fattening and freaking delicious. I got the Samoa flavor today and it makes me very happy. They also have Thin Mint and Tagalong. Yum!!


Photo added on December 13, 2007 after making the soup like a jillion times:
soup

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thanks for coming to my rescue the other day! You rock :)

I got home from the store and realized that I'd made a couple of mistakes. First, I didn't have any onion at home like I thought I did. Two, I used skim milk instead of 2%. And third, I got cream cheese instead of sour cream. :/ I think that in itself made the biggest difference.

I also used garlic, because we're big fans of it.

The soup came out very thick and a bit too garlicy. It's edible but not as good as I think it should be. I'm going to try again at some point... using all of the correct ingredients. :)

-Carrie